Starting Employees in New Hampshire

Starting Employees in New Hampshire

by Birchwood Payroll Mar 11, 2018

Once you hire your first employee, you’ll need a federal employer identification number from the IRS if you don’t already have one.

Companies who pay employees in NH must also register with the NH Department of Employment Security (NHES) for an Employer Account Number.

Each time you hire new employees, you are required to complete a NEW HIRE report.

Federal tax deposits must be made on a periodic basis, and Federal tax returns are required on a quarterly and annual basis. Different rules apply to FICA (social security ) taxes and to FUTA (federal unemployment ) taxes.

There are four methods that an employer can use to electronically transmit tax payments:

  • Use the Treasury Department’s free Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), either online or the voice response system.
  • Ask your financial institution to initiate an ACH Credit payment on your behalf.
  • Ask a trusted third party, such as a tax professional or payroll service, to make the payment for you.
  • In extraordinary circumstances, ask your financial institution to make a same-day tax wire payment for you.


Quarterly deposits for small businesses: If your employment taxes for either the current quarter or the preceding quarter are less than $2,500, you can remit the taxes with your quarterly (Form 941) return. You don’t have to deposit them separately.

On  a quarterly basis, you must file a an Employer Quarterly Tax and Wage Report showing the gross wages paid to each employee and calculating your portion of unemployment tax that must be paid in.

Filing W-2s. You must file copies of your employees’ W-2s with the Social Security Administration (SSA) by the end of January.  In transmitting the forms, you should file Form W-3, Transmittal of Wage and Tax Statements.

Comments (0)